Resources for Designers
On SSK: three little words that make me very tense…
Pattern Writing Templates for Download
As mentioned in my Beginner’s Guide to Writing Knitting Patterns book.
Foot Size Table
Foot Size Table: An excerpt from my sock book, a full list of US, UK and EUR shoe sizes with both foot length and foot circumferences.
A series of blog posts for StitchMastery about using their charting tool.
- On The Wrong Side of Cables
- On Accessibility: Features of StitchMastery that support writing accessible patterns for low-vision or screen-reader use.
- On Charting Conventions: Why We Do It The Way We Do
- Brioche and Fisherman’s Rib pattern charts
- On slipped stitch patterns
- Flipping and symmetries
- On grading patterns and stitches for garments – Part 2
- On grading patterns and stitches for garments – Part 1
- On customizing the written instructions
- On grading pattern repeats – Part 1, accessories
- On representing short rows in charts – validation and symbols
- On Finding Repeats in giant charts with increases
- On Going Both Ways
- On Dealing with the WS
- On the No-Stitch Symbol
- On Repeats and Borders – Part 1
- On Repeats and Borders – Part 2
- On Writing Instructions for Charts
The LoveKnitting Designer Academy
A series of blog posts for LoveKnitting to assist designers with writing, publishing and promoting their patterns.
- Writing, designing and publishing for knitting designers
- The publication process
- Choosing a name for your pattern
- The pattern introduction
- Yarn choices for your patterns
- Tech editing, test knitting, and sample knitting
- Copyright and originality
- How to present size information
- Pattern Photography
- Difficulty levels for designers
- Free vs paid patterns